Digital storytelling allows a person to convey a story with the help of today’s technology. Some of the common elements of a digital story are music, images, narration, and a script. A documentary is one entertaining example of digital storytelling. A documentarian may use photographs, voice overs, and music to tell the story of a famous person or historical event. The elements used in digital storytelling help to make a story more engaging to a viewer.
Today’s young students feel comfortable with using computers and digital cameras along with many other forms of technology. Not surprisingly, many reading and writing teachers have discovered that digital storytelling serves as an effective teaching tool for their students. By incorporating these familiar forms of technology into a class, a teacher is able to capture the attention of students while delivering a lesson on reading and writing.
Furthermore, a student truly feels involved in the lesson by creating a digital story on a subject he or she really cares about. For instance, a student may create a digital story about a memorable day in his or her life. Alternatively, a student’s digital story may feature a historical figure that he or she admires. The student creating the digital story has a reasonable amount of control over what is in the story and how it is presented. This article offers some guidance as well as information to educators who are interested in bringing digital storytelling into their classroom.
Why Do We Tell Stories?
- Enjoyable Storytelling – Read about how kids of all ages enjoy hearing a story and how they can learn from them.
- The Purpose of Storytelling – Find an explanation of the importance of storytelling in regard to educating children.
- The Importance of Telling (and Listening) to the Story – A guide with information on the ways of using stories and the benefits of telling a story.
- Learning about Storytelling – (PDF) Discover the significance of storytelling for children.
- A Look at the Importance of Storytelling – View some thoughts on the importance of storytelling for both children and adults.
- Digital Storytelling Background – Learn why stories are important to people and how they are a natural part of conversation.
What is Digital Storytelling?
- The Pieces Required for Storytelling – Read about seven elements accompanied by detailed explanations that are involved in the storytelling process.
- Digital Storytelling with a Butterfly Theme – Look at these digital story examples that illustrate the life cycle of a butterfly.
- The Process of Storytelling – View four important elements found in the process of digital storytelling.
- Contents of Storytelling – Read detailed descriptions of several elements involved in storytelling.
- The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling – This University of Houston page features a great introduction to digital storytelling.
How to Create a Digital Story
- Guide for Digital Storytelling – Read a list of the steps involved in the digital storytelling process.
- Tips for Digital Storytelling – (PDF) View several important tips for making a digital story as well as some ideas to get the process underway.
- Guidance for Educators Who Are Teaching Digital Storytelling – (PDF) Find a straightforward, useful guide for teachers who are helping students with digital storytelling projects. This information includes important tips to help students make effective use of their project time.
- Creating a Digital Story – Checkout information regarding the various steps involved in digital storytelling that contains tips on the scriptwriting and editing process.
- A Look at the Aspects of Digital Storytelling – Learn about each element of digital storytelling and find helpful information to accomplish each step.
- The Process of Making a Digital Story – (PDF) Discover how to create a digital story with this informative step-by-step guide.
- Digital Storytelling in the Classroom – This fantastic page is a great guide for teachers for incorporating digital storytelling into the classroom.
- Case Studies on Digital Storytelling – (PDF) View a rubric that can help a teacher to evaluate the various elements of a student’s digital storytelling project.
- A Digital Storytelling Lesson Plan – Read the components involved in a lesson plan with a focus on digital storytelling.
- An Example of Digital Storytelling Rubric – (PDF) Peruse a detailed rubric that includes a number of important elements regarding digital storytelling.
- Suggestions for Digital Storytelling – Checkout a list of digital storytelling ideas for students that are organized by academic subject.
- Guidelines for Digital Storytelling – Find a list of tips and reminders for teachers interested in assigning a digital storytelling project.
- A Storyboard Design – View a storyboard template that may assist a student in organizing his or her digital story.
- A Sample Rubric for Digital Story Telling – (PDF) Peruse an example of a rubric used for a digital storytelling project.
- Digital Storytelling Resources for Educators – This resource guide for teachers features examples, storyboards, templates and more.