Home Theater Speaker
Sound Calibration Guide
There is much that goes into setting up a home theater space. There’s no doubt buying a new TV or installing a projector system is exciting. You probably spent a lot of time deciding which option was best for you and considering which screen tech would deliver the most immersive experience. Enjoying incredible picture quality is only one part of an immersive home theater experience.
It's never been easier to get fantastic sound, but beware!
Understanding your surround sound system
“Out of the box” sound system
An “out of the box” sound system from a specific manufacturer, such as Sony. You’ll have a smaller window of opportunity to tweak and fully optimize your sound with this option. However, you can still perform a manual setup and achieve a high-quality, immersive sound experience.
A custom sound system
A custom sound system, where you have purchased individual components from different manufacturers. It’s relatively common for experienced buyers to opt for different brands for specific types of speaker.
For example, if you know what you’re doing and what you’re looking for, you might choose a subwoofer from one particular brand or even select a different speaker manufacturer for speakers in various positions within your setup.
Before you start: Ensuring all your speakers are correctly connected
Positioning your speakers depending on your surround sound setup
You can do this by ear, but you’ll get much better results if you use a decibel meter.
Apps aren’t as accurate as physical decibel meters. Still, they’ll do a good enough job, especially temporarily if you’re waiting for the decibel meter you want to restock.
Using the speaker level settings on your receiver, you’ll be able to trigger a “test tone,” which will allow you to measure the output of your speakers. You can then amend the output level as you need to.
If you’re calibrating your speakers by ear, the best way to do it is to ensure you’re happy with the sound from the first speaker you test. Then, aim to ensure each speaker is as loud as the one you just set up. Doing it this way will make it easier to identify where you’ve gone wrong if your last speaker is vastly different in volume to the first – like a game of Telephone!
What if you change your speaker setup in future?
If you change any of your speakers or subwoofer.
If you add a second subwoofer or additional speakers, such as changing from a 5.1 to a 7.1 or turning surround sound into 3D audio.
If you change your home theater’s configuration or layout, including the position of your seats and speakers, or if you mount your speakers onto the wall or ceiling.
Calibrating your home theater speakers
- Why is calibrating your speakers necessary?
- How do I calibrate my home theater speakers?
- How can I make my home theater sound better?
- How to set up surround sound?
- What are speaker distance settings?
- What is a speaker crossover?
- Do you need a soundbar with Dolby Atmos?
- How do I test my surround sound speakers?
- How to calibrate your subwoofer?
- Where should I place speakers?
- How do I enable 3d sound?
- Where should I set up speakers?
- Theater Recliners For Sale
- Two Person Movie Chair
- Big Recliners On Sale
- Octane Theatre Seating
- 4 Seat Home Theater Recliner
- Couch Chaise Lounge
- 5 Chair Theater Seating
- 6 Seats Home Theater Seating
- Modern Design Two Person Recliner
- Genuine Leather Reclining Chairs
- Home Theater Sofas Sectional Recliners
- Best Movie Seats For Couples
- 3 Seat Recliner Chair
- Couch Sets Leather
- Home Movie Theater Chairs Sale
- Massage Recliner Chairs Sale
- Theater Seat Comfy
- Palliser Leather Reclining Chairs
- Couch With Adjustable Headrest
- Couch With Outlets
- Palliser Paragon Home Theater Recliner
- Theater Seats With Massage
- Doors Movie Theater
- Tier Theater Seating
- U Shaped Theater Chairs
- Power Recliner With Lumbar
- Diamond Pattern Leather Sofa
- Classic Recliner Chair
- Massage Sofas Reviews
- Brown Leather L Shaped Couch
- Palliser Ovation Home Theater Seating
- Men’S Apartment Decor
- How To Finish Basement
- Leather Sectionals For Sale Near Me
- Seating For Auditorium
- UHD Vs OLED Vs QLED
- What’S HDMI Arc
- Recliner Reviews Best Brand
- Best High End Leather Recliners
- How To Make Your Room Soundproof
- Lounge Tv Furniture
- Demand For Interior Designers
- Auditorium Seats Cost
- High Back Leather Chairs
- Deep Sofas For Media Room